Monday, March 17, 2008

"HOUSELESS" IN 2008

This town of mine has always cared about the homeless. I feel I can say that with confidence after 35 years of working with volunteers, donors, and our faith communities who help the homeless daily.

I’ve talked about the city’s homeless with congressmen, City managers, police chiefs, mayors and at rotary, Church groups, at the country Club, the Town and Country. I’ve gone anywhere people would listen. And my listeners all care a lot about a problem that is now more than 40 years old and not much has changed.

Despite all of our conversations, one remark by one resident John Rasmussen sticks in my mind. Short, red-headed and always carrying a walking stick, John, who slept next to the heating vents at the main library in the winter said to me, “Frank, I’m not homeless, I’m houseless.” Continued here.