Monday, October 13, 2008

EQUALITY RIDERS - 2008

Under everyone's radar screen is Soul Forces' Annual 2008 Equality Ride. Each year students between the 18-28 get in a huge bus and travel around the country to mostly conservative religious college campuses in order to advocate for the LGBT community and for religious tolerance.

Six young adults (above) were arrested when they attempted to walk into the DeSantis Family Chapel at Palm Beach Atlantic University in West Palm Beach, Fla., on Monday.

"You are an unwanted guest," campus security director Terry Wheeler said to riders, according to the South Florida Sun-Sentinel. "We have asked the police department to enforce the trespassing law,"

The arrests took place after the Equality Ride bus was damaged Sunday night. The windows were smashed in, shattering two panes of glass, and small portions of the vinyl wrap were also scratched off.

A list of their stops this year is here as is other information. It's director Mel White is a friend from a long time ago. There is a part of me that wishes I was there, too.

2 comments:

Doorman-Priest said...

An important ministry. I admire people who are prepared to get out there and get their hands dirty.

Yard[D]og said...

me tooo .. and I wish I was on that bus ... but sadly I am over 28 ...